I’ll Be Back !!! (Datuk Seri Osu Sukam)
Image via Wikipedia
Former CM Osu makes comeback
Datuk Seri Osu Sukam had to pay two casinos RM7.14 million in 2006.
KOTA KINABALU: Former Sabah chief minister Datuk Seri Osu Sukam, who was ordered by a United Kingdom court to settle RM7.14 million in gambling debts to two London casinos two years ago, could be making a comeback.
Osu, who was chief minister from 1999 to 2001, has secured 38 branch nominations to qualify to contest the Papar Umno division chief’s post, which he vacated in 2006 after his gambling debt case came to light.
He is expected to slug it out with former protege and acting division chief, Datuk Abdul Rahim Ismail, who is Pantai Manis assemblyman and Malaysian Fisheries Development Authority chairman, during the divisional delegates’ meeting on Monday.
Rahim had queried Osu’s eligibility to contest the post in light of his legal case.
The Umno disciplinary board and management committee had reportedly issued a letter stating that Osu was barred from contesting as he had been declared a bankrupt for failing to settle his debts.
Rahim was appointed acting chairman of the division when Osu resigned from the post in 2006.
Both Rahim and Osu could not be reached for their comments.
Another former chief minister, Datuk Seri Salleh Said Keruak, is also making a comeback and will take on incumbent Datuk Musbah Jamli for the Kota Belud Umno division chief’s post.
Salleh was its chairman until 2004 when he decided not to defend the post.
A keen fight is expected although Musbah has garnered 143 nominations as against 69 for Salleh, who was chief minister from 1994 to 1996.
The Kota Belud division will also hold its delegates’ meeting on Monday.
DAILY EXPRESS NEWS
Confirmed Osu is eligible to contest Papar Umno post
02 November, 2008
FORMER Chief Minister Datuk Osu Sukam is eligible to contest the Umno Papar division chief post, said Umno Sec-Gen, Tengku Datuk Adnan Mansor.
He said Osu’s eligibility had been in question because of a court case involving him. However, Adnan said since it was a civil case Osu should be eligible to contest the post on Nov. 8. “He is involved in a civil case and not a criminal case, so Osu can contest,” he said.
Osu has reportedly received sufficient nominations to contest the post currently held by Pantai Manis Assemblyman, Datuk Rahim Ismail in an acting capacity in place of Osu who was advised to step down in the wake of his court case pertaining to millions of ringgit owed to casinos in UK and Australia.
Apart from the Umno Papar division, another problematic division is Batu Sapi because its annual delegates meeting has not been recognised by the party headquarters. It was not recognised because the meeting was not even attended by the division chief (Datuk Juhar Mahiruddin).
“How can a meeting be valid if the (incumbent) division chief is not at the meeting?” he asked.
Adnan said as mentioned by Umno President Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, party headquarters would allow problematic divisions to re-convene their meetings if necessary.
He said elsewhere in the country, there were also some problems involving four divisions in Kelantan and currently discussions were going on with the quarters concerned to resolve the problems before Nov 9, which is the deadline for all divisions to hold their meeting.
According to him, divisions facing problems should refer to the respective state liaison bodies and if there is still no solution then the matter would be referred to Umno Malaysia.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Malaysia’s Leaders Suffer Setback
- Sex and the Malaysian Politician
- Malaysian Leader Gets Closer to Premiership
- You can’t trust anyone
- Yesterday’s man
- 65+ Resources to Prepare for Election Day
- Malaysia’s ruling party selects new leader